August 25, 2016
The Ghosts & Legends of Beaufort, NC
In a town that was once bustling with pirates, Beaufort, NC is now famous for their tales of ghosts and adventures of the past. With a rich history as the third oldest town in North Carolina, “Fishtowne” as it was once named, was known in the early 1700’s for their reputation of being a large port for England to bring goods to the colonies.
This small town, widely known for their great port, led them to be discovered by many undesirable men of the sea in the 1700’s: pirates. One pirate in particular that infamously traveled to Beaufort is the one and only Blackbeard. The story goes that Blackbeard had his headquarters in Beaufort, in a home that many believe is now haunted, known as the Hammock House. Pirates began to run so rampant within Beaufort that the government commissioned military forts to defend against them entering the borders! It was those forts in Beaufort’s back yard, in fact, that caused the town to play such a large part in the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. This tangled history of pirates, the military, and spirits are all tales that are represented in the town’s identity today.
Today, Beaufort embraces its past and all of their proverbial ghosts in the closet (and any real ghosts in the closet) with their famous ghost walks. The ghost walk meets at dusk and explores the historic neighborhoods to tell the haunting tales of spirits. The walk visits centuries old cemeteries to hear of their inhabitants and all of their blunders and misfortunes as well as Blackbeard’s famed Hammock House. As the oldest house in Beaufort, and the home where Blackbeard stayed for 18 years, the famed home is steeped in legend and speculation. Many people over the centuries met their fate in Hammock House. Tourists today continue to revel in this urban legend when they visit the small town of Beaufort.
By Rachel Kampersal
Interested in exploring this ghostly southern town?
Visit our 2017 Itinerary: Charleston to Warren